ORA® Oral Surgery, Sleep Disorder & Implant Studio
Waking Up Chicago To The Importance Of Sleep™
This web site will describe our unique Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery practice in Chicago that incorporates Dental Sleep Medicine and our approach to patient care. We hope to be a resource for people looking for answers to their snoring and sleep apnea problems in Chicago and it’s surrounding suburbs, and we want to encourage you to use this web site as a guide and resource to the many questions related to Sleep Related Breathing Disorders.
Our goal is to help you achieve quiet, restful sleep in order to improve your overall health and the quality of your life. Dr. Steven Koos D.D.S., M.D., a dual degree oral surgeon, will listen carefully to your concerns, thoroughly evaluate your situation, and educate you about your problem and the possible solutions. Treatment will be customized to your needs and, if appropriate, provide you with the most effective oral appliance therapy available to resolve your snoring and sleep apnea problem.
When it comes to accessing your overall health, evaluating sleep studies (polysomnography), fabricating custom oral appliances, and coordinating with other medical doctors, our clinicians at ORA, who are both dental surgeons and physicians are the best suited to deliver the comprehensive treatment for your sleep related breathing disorder that you deserve.
Important Sleep Disorder Facts & Findings
- Studies show up to 50% of men and 30% of women affected by snoring
- Snoring can be a sign of a more ominous sleep related breathing disorder, namely sleep apnea
- Over 30 million Americans suffer from sleep apnea
- An estimated 10 million Americans remain undiagnosed
- Sleep Apnea is more common than adult diabetes and asthma
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) accounts for 84% of all types of sleep apnea
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea affects 24% of men and 9% of women between the ages of 30 and 60 years
- Even higher prevalence of OSA in overweight people and patients over the age of 60
- OSA is a major risk factor for developing cardiovascular disease
- 80% of difficult to control hypertension is related to undiagnosed OSA
- 50% of congestive heart failure scenarios are related to undiagnosed OSA
- 60% of strokes (CVA) are related to undiagnosed OSA
- OSA prevents you from reaching deep stages of sleep, which your body needs to rest and replenish itself
- Symptoms like memory problems, anxiety, depression, irritability, and even aggressive behavior are associated with OSA
- Many medical complications are associated with OSA these include heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure, sexual dysfunction, and lack of desire
- The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration estimates that over 100,000 crashes each year are caused by sleepy drivers
- A high degree or morbidity and premature mortality is associated with untreated and undiagnosed OSA
Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea are treatable with a variety of methods and you or your loved one does not need to live this way, or put yourself at risk for morbidity and mortality.
At ORA® Oral Surgery & Implant Studio in Chicago we are experts in non-surgical and minimally invasive treatments to cure sleep problems. We specialize in the fabrication and use of FDA- approved oral appliances for the successful treatment of sleep apnea and snoring. Your custom made oral appliance will stabilize your lower jaw and tongue and reposition them in relation to your soft palate and uvula – making room for the air you need to breathe easily and sleep better!